½ cup granulated sugar
1 cup shortening
2 teaspoons vanilla
2½ cups flour (+ 2-3 tablespoons)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1½ cups M&M's
- In a large bowl, mix the brown sugar, white sugar, shortening, eggs, and vanilla with electric mixers on low speed until well mixed.
- Add the 2½ cups flour, baking soda, and salt. Mix until just combined.
- Add the extra tablespoons of flour until the dough feels thick and almost dry to the touch. Stir the M&M's into the dough.
- Roll into large balls and press extra M&M's into the tops. Chill or freeze until thoroughly chilled.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper and space frozen dough balls evenly.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes (they will be slightly underbaked). Remove from cookie sheet after a few minutes and place on cooling rack. Cool completely.