Monday, March 25, 2013

Cookies and Creme Cookies

Cookies and Creme Cookies - made March 16, 2013 from The Picky Palate

I was meeting my cousin and her son, Vanilla King, for dinner last weekend and I didn't have any vanilla cookie or snickerdoodle recipes on hand to try since it was a last-minute get together because one of my nieces was visiting me for the weekend.  But I did have this recipe from The Picky Palate that I wanted to try.  While Vanilla King doesn't care for chocolate as a general rule, it turns out he does like Oreos.  Praise be.  Something I can work with.

The Picky Palate's original name for this recipe was Oreo Chocolate Chip Cookies.  I had to rename it because I did modify it by omitting the chocolate chips.  I couldn't call them just Oreo Cookies since technically they're not actually what everyone considers Oreo cookies to be.  Anyway, I left out the chocolate chips because when Vanilla King is confronted with a chocolate chip cookie, he picks out the chocolate chips before he eats it.  I saved him the trouble by leaving them out in the first place.

If you look at the recipe closely, it's essentially a half recipe of a typical chocolate chip cookie with Oreos added in.  Mine spread more than the ones pictured at The Picky Palate so I'm not sure what that's about.  But they still came out pretty well and the Oreos stayed crisp which I liked since it added some texture to the cookie.  They also passed Vanilla King's taste buds and he had one after dinner before we'd even left the parking lot of the restaurant. Success.
1 stick softened butter
6 Tablespoons sugar
6 Tablespoons brown sugar
1 egg
½ teaspoon vanilla
1 ¼ cups flour
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
8 broken pieces Oreo cookies
1 cup chocolate chips
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cream butter, and sugars until well combined. Add egg and vanilla until mixed well.
  2. Place flour, baking soda and salt into a large bowl, stir to combine. Slowly add dry ingredients to wet ingredients then stir in oreos and chocolate chips until just combined.
  3. With a medium cookie scoop, scoop onto a parchment or silpat lined baking sheet. Bake for 7-9 minutes or until golden at the edges and the middles no longer look raw or doughy. Let cool on baking sheet for 3 minutes before transferring to cooling rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment