Saturday, July 28, 2012

Sour Cream Sugar Cookies

Sour Cream Sugar Cookies - made July 14, 2012, recipe modified from About.com

"Not a real sugar cookie but a soft blank slate" - those are the words of one of the reviews from About.com and I have to admit, that's pretty accurate to describe this cookie.  I was still in "gotta use up sour cream" mode so I tried out this recipe.  Usually I can tell if I like a cookie in the first bite.  For this one, I had to eat a whole cookie and even then I wasn't really sure how I felt about it.  My first thought was "wow, this is really..... bland."  I liked the soft texture but I wouldn't call this a sugar cookie.  If you want it sweeter, add a frosting or glaze.  Otherwise, it's a nice chewy cookie but don't expect to be overwhelmed by its flavor.  You also have to bake these just right - if you take them out too early, they'll be gummy.  If you overbake them, they'll be cakey-dry.


2 7/8 (or scant 3) cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
1 egg
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 cup sour cream

Sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt.
 In a mixing bowl, cream butter, sugar, egg, and vanilla with an electric mixer. Beat for 2 minutes.
Add sour cream and half of the sifted dry ingredients; beat 1 minute. Stir in remaining dry ingredients with a wooden spoon.
Divide dough in half and roll each portion into a log.  Wrap in waxed paper and put in the freezer  until firm.  Cut into thick rounds (at least 1/4" thick).  Place rounds on cookie sheets lined with parchment paper; bake at 400° for 8 to 10 minutes. Store soft sugar cookies in an airtight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment