Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Korean BBQ Beef

Korean BBQ Beef - made January 11, 2012 from Everyday Low Carb Cooking by Alex Haas (book #182)



The original recipe is actually Korean BBQ Chicken but lately I've been eating enough chicken to grow my own feathers so I substituted beef instead.  I sliced it thin then pounded each slice with a meat mallet to tenderize it.  Since I don't really cook, I know little to nothing about different cuts of beef other than the more expensive it is, likely the more tender it is.  I don't think chuck roast shrieks "high end" so I whacked the pieces with the meat mallet just to be on the safe side.  And this time you'll be happy to know that I used green onions/scallions as called for in the recipe instead of shallots.

Oddly, I even had all of the ingredients in my pantry so they must've been from past cooking attempts.  Although I don't think I can attest to the shelf life of some of my spices.  But at least the green onions were fresh from the produce section of the grocery store.  I ended up marinating the beef overnight since I haven't yet developed the knack of working all day, coming home, preparing dinner from scratch and eating said dinner that same night.  My usual habit is to come home, workout, eat whatever dinner food I had in the fridge from the night before then prepare what I would cook the following night.  Hence the 24-hour marinating period.

I didn't have a grill so I cooked these via stir fry in a large frying pan (since I don't own a wok either).  Despite all these modifications, the dish actually turned out to be quite tasty.  It was a little on the spicy side for me so there was some life still left in my spices after all.  Although this comes from a low carb cookbook, I couldn't help but think this is really good served with rice.  :)
Still piping hot
3-lb fryer, cut into 8 pieces (I used 1 1/2 lbs chuck roast, sliced thin)
½ cup soy sauce
2 tablespoons sesame oil
1 teaspoon sesame seeds
3 tablespoons sugar equivalent sweetener
½ cup green onions, diced
¼ teaspoon black pepper
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon dried ginger
1 teaspoon garlic powder

1.     Mix all ingredients.  Let the chicken marinate 1 hour if possible.  Cook slowly over charcoal, basting with the marinade.  Discard any marinade that isn’t used. 

2 comments:

  1. I really like this marinade... i will try it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me know how it goes - hope you like it. Oh and I used Splenda for the sweetener.

    ReplyDelete