Saturday, September 18, 2010

Cakey Brownies


Cakey Brownies - made September 14, 2010 from Fat Witch Brownies by Patricia Helding

My friend Terri warned me ahead of time that "something" was coming in the mail for my birthday but it would arrive late since it wasn't going to be released until mid-September. Terri and I share a love of reading the same types of books and authors so I figured it would be something for reading. But lo and behold, when the package arrived from amazon, it was a brownie recipe book of Fat Witch brownies. If you've never had a Fat Witch brownie, they're rich, sinfully delicious and packed with chocolate and butter goodness. You can order them online from http://www.fatwitch.com/ which is how I first tried them but I also visited Fat Witch Bakery when I was in New York and indulged in person as well :).

So you can imagine I was pretty excited to receive the cookbook, especially since I didn't even know it existed. I was anxious to try the original recipe for Fat Witch brownies but when I got home, I discovered I didn't have any chocolate chips. Ack. Normally it'd be unheard of for me not to have semisweet chocolate chips on hand but I'd been using up my baking ingredients in preparation for my upcoming move and hadn't been replenishing my stores. That was foolish. So I had to compromise and try this recipe for Cakey Brownies since I did have all those ingredients on hand and I wanted to bake something from the book.

I've already gone on in previous blog posts that I don't care for cakey brownies. I like my brownies dense and fudgy. I'd like to be able to say I liked this recipe. Unfortunately, I can say they're just "okay". It's probably my prejudice against cakey brownies but I didn't think these were that great. The chocolate tastes wasn't very pronounced and I didn't like the cakey texture. Not a good first recipe out of the book. Fortunately there are many more recipes in the book so keep reading for further updates.

6 tablespoons (¾ stick) unsalted butter
4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
¼ cup whole milk at room temperature
1 cup unbleached flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
Pinch of salt

1. Grease a 9-inch x 9-inch baking pan with butter. Dust with flour and tap out the excess. Preheat the oven to 350˚F.
2. Melt the butter and chocolate in a small saucepan over low heat, stirring frequently. Set aside to cool.
3. Cream the sugar and eggs together. Add the vanilla and milk and mix well. Add the cooled chocolate mixture and mix until well blended.
4. Measure the flour, baking powder and salt and then sift together directly into the chocolate mixture. Mix the batter gently until well combined and no trace of the dry ingredients remains.
5. Spread the batter evenly in the prepared baking pan and bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean or with only crumbs, not batter, on it.
6. Remove from the oven and cool on a rack for 1 hour. Cut just before serving.

Makes 12 to 16 brownies

No comments:

Post a Comment