Friday, January 25, 2019

Bakery Review: Honey Bakery

Honey Bakery - visited January 11, 2019
One of the things I was concerned about missing when I moved from the Bay Area was good dim sum. Or any dim sum, for that matter as my sister told me there aren't any dim sum restaurants in Reno. Eek. Really? It's not even that I *have* to have dim sum all the time. When I was surrounded by it, I had it maybe once every few months, if that. But that's when I had the luxury of having dim sum everywhere I turned, including one down the street from my office.
Fortunately, yelp to the rescue. When I was still hunting down "top bakeries in Reno" I came across the 4 1/2 star-reviews for Honey Bakery. And whaddaya know, they mention it was a dim sum bakery. Say wha??
I was working from home that day but since Honey Bakery was less than 10 minutes from my house, it was a quick lunch time break to go check it out. It's set in a strip mall with a Save Mart and was empty when I walked in so I had time to peruse the display case.
There were the traditional Chinese-bakery items like pork buns, egg custard tarts, wife cake and coconut tarts. I'm fond of a good baked pork bun so that's what I ordered plus the coconut tart.
Thanks to the yelp reviews, I also knew enough to ask for an order of siu mai. The bakery will steam it for you if you wanted to wait 15 minutes.

I had to get back to work so I opted to buy it frozen and to steam them myself at home. As an aside, one thing I still can't get used to in Nevada is that they give takeout in styrofoam containers. And the stores give out plastic bags without charging you. At least for now.
Anyways, steaming the siu mai was easy. I had to create a makeshift steamer by boiling water in a large pot, placing the siu mai pieces in a round baking pan that fit at the top of the pan and covering it. Let it steam with the water boiling for 10 minutes and voila - delicious, fresh siu mai. Now I know where to go for the good stuff.
The pork bun was also tasty. It could've used a little more filling but the bread was really good. Standard traditional good Asian bakery bread.
Almost surprisingly, the coconut tart was also delicious. I normally don't "do" Asian desserts because I have the walloping sweet tooth born from Western culture but the tart was good. More like a cakey coconut sweet muffin baked inside a tart shell but good nonetheless. So glad I found this place and I'll be back.

No comments:

Post a Comment