Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Bakery Review: Rounds Bakery

Rounds Bakery - visited January 6, 2019
One of the things I've had to adjust to in my new area is they have real seasons here. As in winter and snow. I'm from a moderate climate where we have weather such as "sunny" or "rainy". Once in awhile we go wild with "cloudy". Here, winter means snow, not just rain. I actually don't mind the cold. And I like looking at snow when it's in the mountains. Driving on it is going to take some getting used to.
And I got used to it - sort of - by making a careful drive the morning after a snowstorm to do a couple of errands. One of those errands was going to Rounds Bakery, another entry that showed up on yelp when I searched for "best bakeries in Reno".
Rounds has a reputation of making the best bagels in Reno. Unfortunately, I'm not a big bagel fan. Too filling. They also had a plethora of doughnuts on display when I went in. Uh, not a big doughnut person either unless it's Stan's Donuts back at my old stomping grounds.

Fortunately though, one of the things I read in the yelp reviews and, frankly, one of the reasons I went to Rounds Bakery was the mention of a cronut. You don't find many places that do cronuts, other than the famous Dominique Ansel Bakery, creator of the original cronut. So I had to try it here.
There were only a few cronuts at the counter and the helpful counter guy pointed out the flavors they had left: chocolate, nutella and German chocolate. Knowing that once again, I couldn't eat all three flavors, I went with the remaining Nutella cronut. I was a little surprised to find it sprinkled with walnuts rather than hazelnuts which most Nutella desserts are paired with but that was fine.

Props to Rounds for offering the cronut and they did a decent job of making it a cross between a croissant and a doughnut. No knocks on them but you have to remember I had had the real thing when I was in New York. No one beats Dominique Ansel for the cronut. This was a good try and I liked the flavors. The Nutella was only drizzled on top rather than stuffed inside the cronut itself so it wasn't too Nutella-y. Still I'm glad I tried it.

Next time, I'll see what all the fuss is about and go for a bagel or a straightforward doughnut.

No comments:

Post a Comment