Monday, May 22, 2017

Jumbo Snickerdoodles

Jumbo Snickerdoodles - made dough April 22, 2017 from Center Cut Cook
I didn’t need to make jumbo snickerdoodles for my niece’s fundraiser and she actually needed regular-sized cookies but I’d had this recipe on my pin board for awhile and I still needed to make snickerdoodles for the goodie bags so I went with it anyway.
Even though the recipe called for the cookies to be made jumbo-sized, the beauty of cookie dough is you can make the cookies any size you want, even if that wasn’t the original creator’s intent. I compromised by making one jumbo-sized cookie for my taste test cookie and making the rest normal-sized cookies for the goodie bags.

You know how I have my favorite snickerdoodle recipe? Hmm, I might have to have two favorites now. This cookie was amazing. The jumbo one I baked off for myself (ah, the sacrifices I and my waistline make for my craft) was fabulous.  Like, “head to the gym and work it off but it was worth it” fabulous. The edges were light, airy and crisp while the middle was thick, dense and chewy. The flavor was on point and I know it was because I – wait for it – used Penzey’s Vietnamese cinnamon both in the dough and for rolling in the cinnamon-sugar. I won’t use any other cinnamon.
If you like snickerdoodles, make these cookies now. You’ll love them. I didn’t try them as the normal-size version but I assume those would come out equally well. But if there’s something special about making them jumbo-sized, go for it.
1 cup butter,
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 egg plus 1 egg yolk
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 3/4 cups flour
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon

For rolling
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
  1. In a large bowl, combine butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar; cream until well combined.
  2. Add in egg, egg yolk and vanilla; beat until combined.
  3. Add the flour, cream of tartar, salt, baking soda and cinnamon; mix until just combined. Do not overbeat.
  4. Using 1/2 cup measuring cup, portion the dough into balls. Cover and chill or freeze for several hours or overnight.
  5. When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
  6. Combine 1/4 cup granulated sugar and 2 teaspoons cinnamon in a small bowl. Roll dough balls in cinnamon sugar mixture, coating completely.
  7. Place 3 cookies on each sheet, evenly spaced. Bake, one sheet at a time, for 16 to 19 minutes. Let cool on baking sheet for 5-10 minutes before moving to a wire rack to cool completely.

1 comment: