Saturday, May 13, 2017

Chocolate Chip Cookies - Levain Bakery copycat #14 from Kirbie's Cravings

Chocolate Chip Cookies - Levain Bakery copycat #14, made dough April 9, 2017, adapted from Kirbie's Cravings

I’m not going to lie – I liked this cookie, enjoyed it at the time I made it, thought it was good and….can’t remember much about it now that it’s been a few weeks since I tried it and I didn’t do the write up of it soon enough to really remember it. Oops.

My only defense is I was making several of these copycat recipes for my niece’s fundraiser and I only tried one recipe at a time, spaced out between days of working out. I didn’t have time to do the write ups right after I baked it, which is always a mistake because then I don’t note down what I thought about the recipe. All I can say is it was good. 
The dough was a little soft and sticky after I finished mixing it and as I was shaping it into dough balls so that briefly caused me some concern about whether the cookies would spread too much but fortunately, that concern was unfounded. Do underbake these though to get that chewy-not-dry-or-cakey texure.
1 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 cup cake flour
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups chocolate chips
  1. In the bowl of a stand mixer, add butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar. Cream until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Scrape down sides and bottom of bowl.
  2. Add in eggs, one at a time, beating until just incorporated.
  3. Add in cake flour, all-purpose flour, cornstarch, baking soda and salt. Mix on low speed until just combined. Do not overmix. Fold in chocolate chips.
  4. Divide dough into 6-ounce portions. Cover, chill or freeze for several hours or overnight. 
  5. When ready to bake, preheat oven to 410 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper. Evenly space cookie dough portions and bake, one sheet at a time, for 12-13 minutes, until edges are brown and middles are just barely set. Let cookies cool on baking sheets for 15 minutes then transfer to wire cooling racks to cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment