Friday, June 13, 2014

Korean (Ground) Beef

Korean Beef - made June 7, 2014 from Berry Morin Bits and Tips
I'm in the midst of training for my half marathon but got sidelined the past couple of weeks with shin splints. Exercise is a normal part of my day but now that I'm supposed to be resting to heal the splints, I found myself with some unexpected free time last weekend. Normally I do my long runs on Saturdays. I was up to 9 miles for my long runs and from driving time to the gym (yes, I run all miles on the treadmill, don't judge) to running to showering and heading back out, that usually sucked up most of my Saturday mornings. Not being able to do that last weekend meant I ran out of I-don't-have-time excuses to cook real food.
Being me, I opted for the easiest recipe I could find and this one fit the bill nicely. The ingredients were familiar and easy to get and I even felt smugly virtuous that I did a proper mise en place to have everything ready before I turned on the stove: ginger was peeled and minced, garlic was minced, green onions were washed and sliced, and everything else measured out. That was more of a survival tactic than anything since it was still hot and I didn't want to be over a burner any longer than necessary. I liked how this turned out. Although I'm normally a bland eater, this had some nice heat/spice from the ginger that I enjoyed. I like ginger in moderation and this one flavored the ground beef very well. Thumbs up for a quick, tasty meal even an inexperienced cook can make.
1 pound lean ground beef 
1/4 - 1/2 cup brown sugar (I used 1/3 cup)
1/4 cup soy sauce 
1 tablespoon sesame oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced (I used a little more because I like ginger)
1/2 - 1 teaspoon crushed red peppers (to desired spiciness)
salt and pepper 
1 bunch green onions, diced
  1. Heat a large skillet over medium heat and brown hamburger with garlic in the sesame oil. 
  2. Drain most of the fat and add brown sugar, soy sauce, ginger, salt and pepper and red peppers. Simmer for a few minutes to blend the flavors. Serve over steamed rice and top with green onions.

No comments:

Post a Comment