Thursday, August 15, 2013

German Chocolate Brownies

German Chocolate Brownies - made August 5, 2013, adapted from The Brownie Experience by Lisa Tanner
I had made this recipe long, long ago, back during my college days when I first got The Brownie Experience. I've had this book for so long that it isn't even easily available at retail anymore and you pretty much have to get it secondhand.  I'm keeping mine until it disintegrates or I've documented everything from it online because I've gotten some good recipes from this book.
Even though I'd made these before, it was so long ago that I had no memory what these brownies tasted like so it was like trying out a new recipe again. And let's just say I'm glad I did.  I like German chocolate versions of brownies and cakes, usually because of the topping because I love that coconut-pecan combination.  But in this particular case, the brownie base was the star. It had a soft, moist, fudgy texture that I loved.  Usually the drawback with German chocolate brownies is it literally uses German chocolate which is a sweet chocolate so by definition, it's more sweet than chocolaty.  This version, however, uses unsweetened chocolate and is only billed as a German chocolate brownie because of the topping.  That works for me because the unsweetened chocolate gave it a lot more chocolate punch.

The only thing I would do differently though is I think I cooked the frosting too long even though I did it for 12 minutes as the original recipe directed.  But that thickened and evaporated it just a trifle too much so I think I would take it off after less than 10 minutes on the stove before adding  the coconut and pecans.  In case you want a more gooey frosting.

2 ½ ounces unsweetened chocolate (I used 3 ounces)
½ cup butter, softened
¾ cup plus 2 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
2 eggs
¾ teaspoon vanilla
½ cup flour

Coconut Pecan Topping
½ cup evaporated milk
½ cup sugar
2 egg yolks, slightly beaten
¼ cup butter
½ teaspoon vanilla
2/3 cup coconut, flaked or shredded
½ cup chopped pecans
¼ cup chocolate chips
  1. Preheat oven to 350˚F.  Butter an 8” square pan.
  2. Melt chocolate, set aside to cool.  Cream butter with sugar and eggs.  Stir in vanilla, then flour.  Thoroughly blend in melted chocolate.  Spread batter in pan.
  3. Bake about 20 minutes. 
  4. Let cool in pan, then spread with Coconut Pecan Topping.  Cut into squares.
  5. Coconut pecan topping: Combine evaporated milk, sugar, egg yolks, butter and vanilla in a small saucepan.  Stir constantly over medium heat until thick, about 12 minutes (remove after 9-10 minutes if it already seems thick enough).  Remove from heat.  Stir in coconut and pecans.
  6. Cool completely, stirring occasionally.  Mix in chocolate chips.
Makes 16 brownies

No comments:

Post a Comment