Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Spicy Cashew Chicken

Spicy Cashew Chicken - made October 11, 2012 from Momma Chelle

You're probably going to see me post a few more chicken dishes because I bought the Costco pack of chicken breasts.  Which means there's enough to last awhile and I'll be cooking with and eating chicken until I start clucking.

Stir fries are the easiest thing to do and ranks right up there with slow cooker recipes so easy that even *I* can make them without too much mishap.  The key to stir fry recipes is having your mise en place.  Cut up the chicken, let it soak in the sherry/soy sauce while you mix up the sauce ingredients.  Heat up your oil, start frying and the rest comes together very quickly.  I'm happy to say I actually followed the directions and used all the prescribed ingredients to a T.  That hardly ever happens.  This was a good, basic stir fry and perfect to make after a workday and you need something on the dinner table quickly.

4 chicken breast halves, diced
1 tablespoon sherry
2 tablespoons soy sauce
¼ cup oil
1/2-1 teaspoons red pepper flakes

3 green onions, sliced diagonally
2 cloves garlic, minced

1/2 cup cashews, unsalted
toasted sesame seeds

Sauce
4 tbsp soy sauce
1 1/2 tbsp cornstarch
4 tsp sugar
2 tsp white vinegar
  1. Combine 1 tablespoon soy sauce with the cooking sherry* in medium sized bowl. Cut chicken into bite-sized pieces, put chicken pieces in soy/sherry mixture. Let sit while you prepare the other ingredients.
  2. In a small bowl, whisk 4 tablespoons soy sauce, 1 1/2 tbsp corn starch, 4 tsp sugar, and 2 tsp vinegar. Set aside. Slice the green onions, and measure out the red pepper flakes and minced garlic. 
  3. Drain chicken in strainer to get the marinade off as much a possible. Heat oil in a wok over high heat.  Add red pepper flakes to oil,stir a couple times. Add chicken all at once, let sit for a minute or two till golden,then turn chicken. Add garlic to chicken. Cook chicken till golden on all sides and cooked through.  Add cashews. 
  4. Move wok off hot stove and immediately pour in sauce while constantly turning chicken over to cover everything in sauce. Sauce should thicken quite a bit, if you want it thicker put it back on medium heat for about 5-10 seconds, and stir. Sprinkle toasted sesame seeds and add sliced green onions. Serve over rice.
  Cast Party Wednesday  

4 comments:

  1. I might make this tomorrow, I have a lot of chicken left over from today when I made your Orange Chicken.
    I think I am officially stalking your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your recipe! Thanks for sharing it at Cast Party Wednesday! ~Sheryl @ Lady Behind The Curtain~

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made this a couple weeks ago and my famiy loved it. I featured your recipe on my blog! Thanks for sharing
    http://rhondassaucyadventures.blogspot.com/search/label/The%20Pastry%20Chef%27s%20Spicy%20Cashew%20Chicken

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it - thanks for letting me know and for the link back!

      Delete