Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Slow Cooker Potato and Ham Soup

Slow Cooker Potato and Ham Soup - made October 6, 2012 from Saving Cents with Sense

We still weren't quite having cool fall weather when I made this soup but I made it anyway, maybe in the hopes that autumn weather would arrive.  Plus I love potato soup.  When Marie Callendars used to be nearby (it's been closed for awhile in my area), I would always order the potato cheese soup.  I love the creamy texture and it was comfort food all the way.  At Red Lobster, my guilty pleasure is the creamy potato bacon soup they serve in a toasted sourdough boule (little bread bowl).  Talk about cardo loading.  But it's so good.

Similar recipes on pinterest caught my fancy and I tried this one out.  I modified the recipe slightly to get the thick, creamy texture I prefer and added cheddar cheese to make it more of a potato cheese soup.  Please click on the recipe title above to get the original recipe.  To serve, I hollowed out a mini sourdough boule, toasted it in the toaster oven and filled it with the soup.

4 cups diced potatoes (I used Yukon Gold and Russet)
1 can whole kernel corn, drained
1 can cream-style corn
1 can evaporated milk
1/2 medium onion, diced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 cup diced ham
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
  1. Spray a slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray.  Put all ingredients except the ham and cheese in a slow cooker.
  2. Cover and cook on high for 3 to 4 hours (or 6 to 8 hours on low) or until the potatoes are tender.  30-45 minutes before the soup is done, remove 1 to 1 1/2 cups of the mixture (potato chunks, corn and all) and puree in a blender until a thick paste consistency.  Return to the slow cooker, add the chunks of ham and cheddar cheese and continue cooking.  Stir to incorporate the melted cheese into the soup.
  3. Season with optional salt and pepper when you serve.  
  Cast Party Wednesday

1 comment: