Saturday, November 12, 2011

Caramel Coconut Brownies with Oreo Crust - Take 3

Double Chocolate Brownies with Fudge Sauce - made November 7, 2011 from Chocolate Box by Linda Doeser (book #175)


Your eyes aren't deceiving you - the picture of these brownies don't match the original title of the recipe.  That's because I only used the brownie recipe part to make the top layer of the oreo caramel coconut brownies again.  I wasn't going to make this kind of brownie again but I had some coworkers in town last week and one requested that brownie.  To further my baking challenge along, I semi-cheated and just chose a random brownie recipe to make it again.  As mentioned before, I have recipe ADD: it's hard for me to make the same recipe twice unless it's a family or friend favorite when I could be trying out more new recipes. 

In any case, I think I've got the hang of these triple-layered brownies now so nothing really new or revolutionary to report on them.  I am, however, also getting sick of Oreos now so I may give these a rest.  But I did list the original recipe below as is in case anyone wants to try making them as the cookbook author intended. 

I was too busy last week to really bake much so I have to get myself in gear.  Holiday baking is coming up and that's my busiest baking season.  Not only do I bake for family gatherings but also when I go out with friends, attend parties and send care packages.  LOTS to bake.  More to come in the next few weeks....


½ cup unsalted butter
4 ounces/115 grams semisweet chocolate, broken into pieces
1 1/3 cups superfine sugar
Pinch of salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
½ cup white chocolate chips

Fudge Sauce
4 tablespoons butter
1 cup superfine sugar
2/3 cup milk
1 cup heavy cream
2/3 cup corn syrup
7 ounces/200 grams semisweet chocolate, broken into pieces

1.     Preheat the oven to 350F.  Grease and line a 7-inch/18-cm square cake pan with parchment paper.  Place the butter and chocolate in a small heatproof bowl set over a saucepan of gently simmering water until melted.  Stir until smooth.  Let cool slightly.  Stir in the sugar, salt, and vanilla extract.  Add the eggs, one at a time, stirring well, until blended.
2.    Sift the flour and unsweetened cocoa into the cake batter and beat until smooth.  Stir in the chocolate chips, then pour the batter into the pan.  Bake in the preheated oven for 35-40 minutes, or until the top is evenly colored and a skewer inserted into the center comes out almost clean.  Let cool slightly while preparing the sauce.
3.    To make the sauce, place the butter, sugar, milk, cream, and corn syrup in a small saucepan and heat gently until the sugar has dissolved.  Bring to a boil and stir for 10 minutes, or until the mixture is caramel-colored.  Remove from the heat and add the chocolate.  Stir until smooth.  Cut the brownies into large or small squares and serve immediately with the sauce.

4 comments:

  1. This brownies look good!! How do you do the oreo crust?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Iva, I use a regular-size package of Oreos (I think they're in the 14-oz package? or something similar), process them to fine crumbs in a food processor, add 4-5 tablespoons of melted butter and mix. Then I pat in an even layer in the bottom of the pan. You don't want too much butter or it'll be greasy but you also want enough that the crumb layer holds together.

    ReplyDelete