Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Oreo-ized Brownies

Out of This World Brownies - made June 11, 2011 from Desserts by the Yard by Sherry Yard (book #126)


My beautiful nieces (I'm a doting aunt, they are beautiful inside and out, and there's no changing that adjective when I refer to them) are graduating from high school this week.  As part of my starting my new job, I asked for the 2 days off ahead of time so I could fly down to attend their graduation.  There's no way I could miss it.  Also as part of my role as the doting aunt, I always bake before I go down there and arrive with my luggage packed with chocolate and sugar.  Typically it's almost always brownies since they travel well and I like to think I've successfully passed on my love of brownies and chocolate to the next generation.

The picture for this in Sherry Yard's book looked so fudgy and moist it practically shrieked, "Me! Me! Bake me!"  Its official name is Out of This World Brownies and Sherry Yard includes a cute story about why she named it that.  I'm taking the liberty of renaming it to signify the "springtime" Oreo cookies I chopped up and added to it.  "Springtime" is referring to the liberty the Oreo cookie people took in having sunshiny yellow filling instead of the traditional white filling.  I would've preferred the white filling but this is what they had at Target when I went so this is what I'm using.  Actually I had originally bought these Oreos to make Oreo-stuffed chocolate chip cookies, something I've been seeing all over the blogosphere lately but I needed brownies so I repurposed some of the package of Oreos to these.  The cookies will be a future experiment.  I have to admit, Oreos are another exception to my sweet tooth snobbiness against store-bought cookies.  I love Oreos.  I rarely buy them though and mostly when I'm going to use them in baking.


These brownies were quite good - perfect fudgy texture and all chocolaty goodness.  They deserve the "out of the world" moniker.  They were so good that I don't think the Oreos were really necessary.  These brownies would be perfectly fine plain without any add ins.  The taste and texture stand alone.  But don't be afraid to experiment either.  Oreos are almost never a bad idea.

¾ cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
¼ teaspoon salt
4 ounces (1 stick) unsalted butter, chopped
1 ounce unsweetened chocolate
7 ounces bittersweet chocolate, preferably Scharffenberger, finely chopped (I used Valrhona)
2 large eggs
1 cup sugar

1.       Place a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat the oven to 350⁰F.  Line an 8-inch square baking pan with aluminum foil and spray the foil with pan spray.
2.       Sift together the flour and salt and set aside.
3.       Melt the butter, unsweetened chocolate, and bittersweet chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl at 50% power for about 2 minutes or in a heatproof bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water.  Stir with a rubber spatula until the mixture is smooth.  Allow to cool to tepid (90⁰F).
4.       In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat together the eggs and sugar until fluffy.  Using a whisk, gently beat in the butter and chocolate.  Fold in the flour.
5.       Scrape the batter into the pan and place in the oven.  Bake, rotating the pan from front to back halfway through, for 25 to 30 minutes, until slightly firm to the touch and a crust has formed on top.  A toothpick will not come out clean.
6.       Allow to cool in the pan on a rack to room temperature.  Cut into 2-inch squares.

2 comments:

  1. Those brownies look so yummy! And I agree that anything with Oreos added to it is always great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything is better with Oreos!

    I hope you'll stop by my weekly link-up, Sweet Tooth Friday and share your recipe! http://alli-n-son.com/2011/06/16/midnight-craving-cupcakes/

    ReplyDelete