Monday, March 15, 2010

Cream Cheese Sugar Cookies


Cream Cheese Sugar Cookies - made March 13, 2010

My friend Karen sent me the link to this recipe from a blog
http://beneathmyheart.blogspot.com/. Karen loves cream cheese and feels "it should be its own food group". I'm not as avid a cream cheese fan and one thing you'll likely never find on this blog is a recipe for cheesecake since I don't care for it. However, I can take cream cheese in small doses and mixed with other ingredients so this recipe seemed like a good candidate to try.

I don't normally make sugar cookies or cut-out cookies that often, simply because they're a PITA to make. All that rolling, flouring, cutting, re-rolling, cutting some more, flouring again - you get the picture. Most doughs also hate me when I roll them out and try to stick to the rolling pin and the cutting board so I end up having to use more flour to prevent sticking and then the said dough can get tough or dry from too much handling and too much flour. I hate that. So I cheat when it comes to cut out cookies and instead of rolling out the dough to some impossibly consistent thinness/thickness all around, I roll into a (fairly) uniform log, freeze it, then cut into round slices. Voila - instant cookies all ready to bake. Okay, yeah, the Pillsbury dough boy had the idea first but imitation is the sincerest form of flattery after all.

The recipe for this says to bake it for 7-10 minutes until the bottoms are golden brown and that the trick was to take them out when they were slightly underdone and let them finish baking on the hot cookie sheet. I left these in there for 15 minutes and they were still underdone. I should've left them in longer until I did see them turn slightly golden brown on the bottom but I was paranoid about following the directions. However, once they were cool, turns out I was right and they were underdone. You can even tell by the picture because the cookies still look doughy. The taste was pretty good and the texture was nice and chewy. You can't really taste the cream cheese. But the next batch I'm going with my instincts and leaving them in the oven until I feel like they really are done.

No comments:

Post a Comment