Thursday, December 16, 2021

Bakery Review: Caramel Apple Pie from Justice of the Pies

Caramel Apple Pie - ordered October 28, 2021 for November 24, 2021 delivery from Justice of the Pies via Goldbelly
I ordered this caramel apple pie from Justice of the Pies as one of our Thanksgiving desserts. As you can see from the pictures, I ordered it through Goldbelly. Like all the other times I've ordered from Goldbelly in the recent past, they were having a sale. In this case, it was $20 off full price so I was able to get it $49 shipped. 
Cutie pie - get it?
Which might seem expensive for a pie but to support a small business, to support their social justice cause and just for a caramel apple pie, I'll spend the money. Any combination of the three is enough for me to break open my wallet. 
Well packaged, well-insulated

The pie arrived as pictured above, well wrapped, frozen in perishables packaging (insulated, dry ice) with a sleeve of the salted caramel packaged separately. The caramel is meant to be drizzled over the heated pie once it's out of the oven.

The pie also came with these cards, with heating and storage instructions.
And it came with the story of their mission. I encourage you to visit the Justice of the Pies website to read the story. And to hopefully get a pie of your own.

The pie before re-heating and without the caramel sauce

This pie was delicious.. The bottom crust was flaky and the top crust of oatmeal topping with caramel drizzle added the perfect touch of sweetness as well as additional texture to the apple pie filling. Despite the caramel, it actually wasn't too sweet. Or else the oatmeal fooled me into thinking it wasn't.
If I had any critique about the pie, it's that the caramel got a little lost in the oatmeal topping. When I drizzled the caramel over the heated pie, the drizzle was only visible for a few minutes before it absorbed fully from sight into the oat topping.
Which was a bit aesthetically disappointing as nothing I like better than seeing (and eating) that caramel. So mine didn't look like the picture on the postcard that came with the pie. I couldn't taste the caramel very much either as it combined with the apple filling. 
But other than that, this was still mighty good pie.



No comments:

Post a Comment