Monday, October 18, 2021

Bakery Review: Sweet Potato Pound Cake from Southern Girl Desserts

Southern Girl Desserts - placed order on September 29, 2021, received October 6, 2021
I first heard of Southern Girl Desserts when they competed on Cupcake Wars. Back in the days when I watched TV on a regular basis, that was my go-to show for entertainment. I believe they won, btw.
I had seen their product offerings on Gold Belly before but hadn't ordered anything. The dessert I was most interested in was their Giant Sweet Potato Pound Cake but it retailed for $89. Even though that price included free shipping and when you take into account the cost of shipping and packaging not to mention what full-size cakes in many retail bakeries cost, that doesn't make it an unreasonable price. But...it still gave me pause. 
I mean, I like to support small business and all and this is a black-female-owned small business which I also want to support but almost $90 for a pound cake that I could likely make myself or at least something close was pause-worthy.
Then it went "on sale" on Gold Belly, for $69 with free shipping. On the website for Southern Girl Desserts, they also sell the same pound cake for $75 but that's if you're lucky enough to live nearby and can pick up from their store. Which I'm not. While $69 still seemed a bit steep, yup, you guessed it, I talked myself into it. Pause over.

As with everything I've bought from Gold Belly so far, everything comes so well packaged. It also arrived promptly when it was supposed to. I ordered it on September 29 and it arrived on October 6 in great condition, well wrapped and in cool storage packing.

The package also comes with these cards that give some background info on the owners and how to enjoy the cake.


This cake is not for the faint of heart or dainty. When they say "giant" they mean "giant". It's a huge bundt cake and the middle is filled with some sort of amazing sweet potato filling and glaze. 
But wait, there's more. It isn't just a sweet potato pound cake. There's a layer of sweet potato filling inside the cake as well that is as deliciously amazing as the cake part. 
You know, up-post, where I said I could probably make something similar to this? That was a lie. Even if I tried, I think I could only nail down the sweet potato pound cake part, at best. This is more than that, from the sweet potato layer inside the cake to the sweet potato filling in the center of the Bundt cake hole to the glaze. 

Another good thing about this cake is it freezes well. Since even I can't eat a giant anything unless I want to assume giant proportions myself, I sliced it up and put the individually wrapped slices in the freezer so I could enjoy a piece at a time at my leisure in the future and have more to share with others when the time comes.
This particular sale is over at Gold Belly but if you're a new customer, you can use my Referral Code to get $15 off your order (disclaimer: I get $15 off my next order as well). I have to admit, cheap as I am sometimes, I'd probably pay full price for this amazing cake next time. It's a serious option for Thanksgiving dessert if you want something beyond the traditional pie and to wow your guests around the dining table.


No comments:

Post a Comment