Thursday, April 2, 2020

Instant Pot Filipino Chicken Adobo

Instant Pot Filipino Chicken Adobo - made March 11, 2020 from Dinner Then Dessert
Do you want to know my favorite shopping day? It isn't Black Friday or the day after Christmas. It's the day I get my annual rebate check from using my Costco Visa card. No joke. I love Costco anyway but "free" shopping at Costco? The best.
This year I'm more grateful to it than ever because, in hindsight, the timing of my getting my rebate check emailed to me at the end of February meant I went to Costco the next day and did my usual annual rebate check shopping. That also meant this was days before panic buying and hoarding so there were not only shelves that were stocked but I was able to buy "real food". And since this was Costco, it was real food in Costco-sizes that meant I was inadvertently stocked up before it became a newsworthy thing to be.
Case in point, I bought a Costco-pack of chicken thighs. It was cheap and there were 8 "air-chilled" packs of chicken thighs bundled together. I used the first two packs to make this very easy Chicken Adobo in my Instant Pot.

This is literally one of the easiest things you can make. Marinate the chicken for a few hours or the day before you plan to eat it, dump everything in the instant pot, let it cook then broil the chicken in the oven to brown the outside while the sauce bubbles on saute mode to thicken.

You don't want to reduce the sauce too much as it's good when poured over rice. It's meant to be a thin sauce.

While this wasn't as good as my mom's adobo (nothing ever is), it was still pretty tasty. It also has the advantage of not only being easy to make but it requires relatively few ingredients. So if you're hunkered down at home (and I hope you are), give this a try for an easy, quick meal.


6 chicken thighs, bone-in and skin-on
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup white vinegar
4 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tablespoon black peppercorns
4 bay leaves
  1. Add all the ingredients together in a large bowl and marinate, covered, for 4 hours or more.
  2. Add marinated chicken and sauce to instant pot and set the pressure to high for 15 minutes. When it turns off, quick release the steam.
  3. Remove the chicken from the instant pot and place in a single layer on a foil-lined baking sheet. Broil at 450 degrees F until browned and crisp. 
  4. Put instant pot setting on saute and reduce sauce to half. Pour sauce over browned chicken, remove bay leaves and serve warm with rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment