Sunday, July 7, 2019

Chewy Sugar Cookies

Chewy Sugar Cookies - made June 25, 2019 from Butternut Bakery
It's been awhile since I've posted as I've been busy moving, unpacking, unpacking and settling into the new place. Before I moved, however, I made this cookie dough and, fittingly, it was the first thing I baked in my new kitchen.

I say fittingly because I love my new kitchen. It's made for a baker like me and I chose the options and design that wouldn't just look nice but was also functionally what I needed and used. Lots of counter space to work on, double convection ovens for the first time in my life and enough cupboard space to accommodate the baffling array of dessert platters I seem to have accumulated without my own knowledge.
Having a convection oven is what I missed the most in the past 6 months. I had one in my old house so I'd forgotten the difference it made until I only had a "normal" oven to work with. I found the bottoms of my cookies would end up more baked and a little harder than they should have been, even when I underbaked them. They would gradually soften to match the rest of the cookie after several hours but you're talking to someone who only eats a cookie 10-20 minutes out of the oven. #firstworldproblems

I also say fittingly because not only do I love my new kitchen but I also love this recipe for sugar cookies. In fact - and you know I try to avoid hyperbole unless the recipe really warrants it - this might be the best ever sugar cookie recipe I've ever tried. Seriously.
Usually I find sugar cookies too sweet or spread too thin. Neither is an issue with this cookie. You know how I endorse the cookie recipes I love the most? I eat most of them myself. Usually I'll bake a taste test cookie to try it out for myself then I'll bake the rest off, give them away and move on.

I did bake a few for my family when they came over last week but, I can't lie; the rest of the dough is tucked away in my freezer, to be baked one at a time, once a day, for my afternoon snack. I'm like a dragon protectively sprawled over its hoard, the way I'm hovering over the frozen dough balls in a ziploc bag in my freezer. I'm not proud of it but there you have it. It's not like I can't make more either but I'm running low on cake flour. Time for a Target run.
1 1/2 cups cake flour
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 large egg + 1 large egg yolk
Decorative sugar for sprinkling on top, optional
  1. In a small bowl, whisk together cake flour, all-purpose flour, salt and baking soda; set aside.
  2. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the melted butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar on medium speed until fully combined. Mix in the egg, egg yolk and vanilla.
  3. Mix in the dry ingredients, mixing only until just combined. Do not overbeat. Chill the dough in the refrigerator for 10-15 minutes.
  4. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Portion the dough into golf-ball size dough balls and place in neat rows on baking sheet. Cover with plastic wrap and chill in refrigerator for at least 4 hours or overnight.
  5. When ready to bake, preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line another baking sheet with parchment paper and evenly space chilled dough balls 2 inches apart. Bake for 12-14 minutes, until edges are set/lightly golden grown and middles no longer look raw or shiny. Let rest on baking sheets for a few minutes then transfer to wire racks to cool completely. If desired, sprinkle with decorative sugars while cookies are still hot. Cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment