Tuesday, February 12, 2019

Bakery Review: Insomnia Cookies

Insomnia Cookies - visited January 19, 2019
If you've ever gone to Cream or read my post when *I* went to Cream, you'll have a frame of reference when I say Insomnia Cookies has a similar concept to Cream.
In Nevada, it's right next to the University of Nevada, Reno, which is a smart location choice. The cookies are affordable on a student budget, for an extra fee they promise to deliver warm cookies, and you can get cookiewiches or warm cookies of your choice flavor sandwiched with ice cream. What's not to love?

It was a chilly, cloudy day when I went to check out Insomnia Cookies so I passed on the ice cream option. Instead, I decided to try the snickerdoodle and the triple chocolate chunk cookie.
The snickerdoodle was a bit on the small side (boo - you know I like behemoth cookies, diet be damned) and crispy. The flavor was good but to be candid, I like my snickerdoodles better. This had the upside of being served warm and it's hard to beat a warm cookie but while I liked the crisp edges, I prefer my snickerdoodles to be a bit thicker with more chewiness in the middle. I know, I'm a cookie snob.
Snickerdoodle - $1.70

I fared better with the Triple Chocolate Chunk Cookie. For one thing, it was bigger. It cost more as well but that was okay. You got more cookie.
Triple Chocolate Chunk - $3.40

The three kinds of chocolate chunks (no lazy chocolate chip add-ins, these were bona fide chocolate chunks) was a nice touch and this cookie had a little more heft than the snickerdoodle. Nice brown sugar caramel overtones, crisp edges, chewy middle. I can't say it was so amazing I'd go back again and again for it but you're talking to someone who's tried out dozens if not hundreds of chocolate chip cookie recipes. I like them all. And I liked this one too.

2 comments:

  1. Great cookies! I have bought other popular cookies from other stores that are local but why I continue to return to insomnia cookies is the great variety of cookies to choose from. Great flavor cookies. Also their cookies remind me of cookies you would make. Their delivery time is pretty good. We are empty nesters so it’s easy and convenient when my husband and I want a little sweet to call and have some cookies delivered verses making them.

    ReplyDelete