Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Slow-Cooked Pork Chops

Slow-Cooked Pork Chops - made December 31, 2012 from My Daily Moment

Another "real food" recipe.  Yes, I'm still trying to feed myself at home.  I don't usually cook with pork very much, mostly because I'm inept at it and pork chops can toughen up easily (well, they do when I get hold of them).  But I figure you can't go wrong throwing them in a crock pot since all you need to do is let them cook long enough to get tender.  Which is pretty much what this recipe is.  The beauty of it is you can prep and pan sear them in a few minutes then throw them in the slow cooker for the rest of the day and forget about it.  That's my kind of cooking.

After my brush with dry chicken breasts, I also wanted something with a little bit of sauce and this delivered.  This didn't get too soupy since you only put in the one can of soup and no water but the sauce wasn't thick either.  I cooked it on high for almost 6 hours, until the chops were fork tender.  Taste-wise, I don't think I'd win any culinary blue ribbons but this turned out pretty well.  It was a tiny bit salty for me but otherwise good.  I also added sprigs of rosemary to the crock pot.  The original recipe didn't call for it but I have a healthy, thriving, ever-growing rosemary plant and I figure I'd better be using it as much as possible.  Especially since even after I cut off half a dozen sprigs, the plant looked as bushy as it ever was.

6 lean pork chops
1/2 cup flour
1 tablespoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons dry mustard1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
2 tablespoons oil
1 10-oz can chicken and rice soup

Coat pork chops in mixture of flour, salt, dry mustard, and garlic powder and brown in oil in skillet. Place browned pork chops in crock-pot. Add can of soup. Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or on high for 3 1/2 hours.

1 comment: