Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Black Bottom Brownies

Black Bottom Brownies - made December 10, 2010 from Brownies & Blondies by Lisa Yockelson (book #24)


This is the last of the 3 recipes I tried out for the first time for my Dessert Extravaganza party.  While I'm usually hesitant to try out recipes for the first time when I need them for something like a party or a gift since you never know how they'll turn out, I'd made enough of Lisa Yockelson's recipes (and found them fabulous) to consider this a low-risk effort.  This is from a little recipe book that I can't even remember where I got it or how long ago but since it's by one of my favorite cookbook authors, it was a no-brainer to get.

Cream cheese swirl brownies are pretty to serve at a gathering and one of the few ways I'll eat cream cheese in any form so this seemed like a safe bet to try.  I'd like to be able to say this tasted great and it might have.  But I don't know since I forgot to try a taste test piece before or during the party and I sent leftovers home with my guests.  Before the party, I had set aside some pieces for care packages I gave to friends the next day but I didn't dip into their stash either.  But while I don't know how they taste, I will say they looked great and appeared to have the fudgy texture I like in brownies.  I need to make these again so I can verify their taste.


Brownies
¾ cup unsifted all-purpose flour
¼ teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
3 squares (3 ounces) unsweetened chocolate melted and cooled
1 cup superfine sugar
2 extra-large eggs
1 extra-large egg yolk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Cream Cheese Topping
2 3-ounce packages cream cheese, softened
¼ cup granulated sugar
Pinch of salt
1 extra-large egg
¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
½ cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips

1.     Preheat the oven to 350F.  Butter and flour a 9 x 9 x 2” baking pan.
2.     For the brownies: thoroughly mix the all-purpose flour, baking powder, and salt.  Set aside 2 teaspoons of the flour mixture for the cream cheese topping.
3.     Whisk the butter and chocolate in a bowl; beat in the sugar, eggs, egg yolk and vanilla extract.  Add the dry ingredients and stir to form a batter.
4.     Pour and scrape the batter into the prepared pan; spread the batter evenly.
5.     For the cream cheese topping, beat the cream cheese, sugar and salt in a bowl on moderate speed for 2 minutes.  Add the egg and vanilla extract and beat for 1 minute.  Toss the chocolate chips with the reserved 2 teaspoons of dry ingredients and stir into the cream cheese mixture.  Pour the topping over the brownie batter; gently swirl the cream cheese mixture into the chocolate batter using a table knife or small spatula.  Bake the brownies for 30 to 32 minutes, or until just set.
6.     Cool the brownies completely in the pan on a rack.  Cut into squares.   Refrigerate in an airtight tin.

2 comments:

  1. Did you just say "care package for friends"??? ohboyohboy ... please let that care package be bound for Boston....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, those care packages were for local friends :). But yes, yours is in the making (you know I would only send you stuff I can bake and mail on the same day). I was waiting until you got back from St John. Check your mail early next week...

    ReplyDelete