Sunday, September 13, 2009

My Baking Blog - the beginning

I can't even remember when I started baking or how or why. I think I must have been anywhere from 10 to 12 years old. I do know I've always had a sweet tooth and perhaps I started baking to feed it. I just know I love to bake and do it often as a means of relaxation, or because I'm asked to bring something somewhere for someone (or I simply want to without being asked) or just because. I love trying out new recipes and often bring the results (failures and successes alike) to work.


This blog is going to be about my baking odyssey - as I try out new recipes or old favorites, I'll post pictures, references to where I got the recipe, my observations and whatever else moves me. I started out using the Note feature on facebook but what I'm really trying to do sounds more appropriate for a blog so I'll try it this way.


Here are my initial notes from my Facebook account:

Cinnamon Coffee Cake - January 26, 2009
Tonight I baked a cinnamon coffee cake - super easy to make. The recipe was from Perfect Cakes by Nick Malgieri. I met him when he did a cooking demonstration at Sur La Table and he autographed the book for me. Interestingly, this recipe doesn't use brown sugar or nuts in the topping but rather flour, granulated sugar, melted butter and cinnamon. The topping didn't get brown either since I took it out when the cake was done - didn't want to overbake the cake. It came out pretty good - typical coffee cake although I wonder if it would be better with some toasted pecans or with brown sugar instead of white sugar for more flavor. Plus I ate it somewhat warm - have to try it again when it's at room temp tomorrow. All in the name of research, of course. The rest is going to be served at my boss' staff meeting tomorrow morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment