3 tablespoons gluten-free all purpose flour (I used regular all-purpose flour)
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 tablespoon nutritional yeast (optional)
For protein, I added a cup of cubed chicken thighs
- Make the sweet potato noodles using a mandolin, spiralizer, julienne peeler.
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium high heat. When the oil is warm, add the sweet potato. Cook the sweet potato, stirring frequently, until the “noodles” have softened. It takes about 5 minutes, depending on the thickness of the noodles. Set the cooked noodles aside.
- Add the flour to a small saucepan and turn the burner onto medium. Stir the flour continuously. Watch closely for the color of the flour to change. The flour will darken in color and resemble sand. It goes from white to sandy quickly, so don’t look away for long! When you see this color change, add the milk and whisk to get out any lumps.
- Add the cheese and the nutritional yeast, and stir until melted.
- When the sauce is smooth, stir the cooked sweet potato into the cheese sauce. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Serve warm. This mac & cheese is best fresh.