3 cups (450 g) all-purpose flour
3 cups (650 g) granulated sugar
1 1/2 cups (155 g) unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tablespoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
4 large eggs
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1 1/2 cups warm water
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Chocolate Cream Cheese Buttercream Frosting
1 1/2 cups butter, softened
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 1/2 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
3 teaspoons vanilla extract
7-8 cups powdered sugar
about 1/4 cup milk, as needed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter three 9-inch cake rounds. Dust with flour and tap out excess. Line bottoms with parchment rounds, optional but recommended.
- Mix together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a stand mixer on low speed until combined.
- Add eggs, buttermilk, warm water, oil and vanilla. Beat on medium speed until smooth, about 2 minutes.
- Divide batter evenly among the three pans. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center of each round comes out with a few moist crumbs, not raw batter.
- Cool on wire racks for 10 minutes then turn the cakes onto the racks and allow to cool completely.
- While cakes are cooling, make frosting: in a large bowl, beat together the butter and cream cheese until fluffy.
- Add the cocoa powder and vanilla extract; beat until combined.
- Beat in powdered sugar, one cup at a time. Add milk as needed to make a spreadable consistency.