1 pound butter, softened
1 pound sugar2 teaspoons vanilla3 eggs, at room temperature13 ounces cake flour2 teaspoons baking powder½ teaspoon salt1 tablespoon dark rum8 ounces pastry creamConfectioners’ sugar for dusting, optional
1/2 recipe of pastry cream
- Preheat oven to 325˚F – 350˚F. (lower temp if baking in a glass pan)
- Grease and flour 1 10-inch cake pan or springform pan. Put parchment paper on bottom.
- Cream butter with sugar and vanilla. Do not overwhip; use paddle attachment. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Sift flour, baking powder, and salt, and gradually fold into butter mixture with wooden spoon.
- Spoon into large pastry bag fitting with a plain tip (#9). Pipe approximately half of the mixture in a spiral onto bottom of prepared pan. Pipe extra ring around inside edge of pan to prevent filling from sticking to sides of pan.
- Stir rum into pastry cream. Spread evenly over mixture inside of outer ring, using small spatula or palette knife. Alternatively, spread mixture in pan instead of piping it.
- Pipe remaining mixture in spiral over filling.
- Bake in preheated oven 45 to 60 minutes or until center of cake springs back when lightly pressed. Cool in pan on wire rack 15 minutes. Remove from pan and cool completely.
- Dust top with sifted confectioners’ sugar just before serving (optional).