Thursday, August 25, 2016

Soft & Chewy Snickerdoodles

Soft & Chewy Snickerdoodles - made dough July 2, 2016 from The Pinning Mama

Another snickerdoodle recipe! I hadn’t meant to make another one but when I was expecting guests for dinner, I tried two different recipes as I had planned to send everyone home with a cookie bag and didn’t want to run short. But, thanks to some last-minute cancellations, I had less people over than I expected so the snickerdoodles from the first recipe was all I needed.

But I had already made this recipe and had the dough waiting in my freezer so I baked them off later and brought them to work. I have to say, I like this recipe better than the ones I made for my friends for our potluck. I think it was mostly because I didn’t underbake it too much so the texture was just right, still a little cakey but also chewy and moist like a good snickerdoodle. It didn’t spread much either so that’s always points with me.
Not sure this replaces my favorite snickerdoodle recipe but it comes close and it's still a winner. The main difference between this and a typical snickerdoodle is this one doesn't have cream of tartar. Purists may disagree that this is a "real" snickerdoodle but they're going to miss out on a really excellent cookie if they don't make this.
1 cup butter
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
1 egg
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
  1. Cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
  2. Add in egg and vanilla until combined.
  3. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. 
  4. Slow add flour mixture to butter mixture, mixing until just combined.
  5. Measure dough with a 1/4 cup measure and roll into golf-ball-size dough balls. Cover and chill or freeze several hours or overnight.
  6. Combine 1/4 cup sugar and cinnamon in small bowl.
  7. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line baking sheets with parchment paper. Roll dough balls in cinnamon sugar mixture and evenly space on baking sheets.
  8. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until center is just set. Let cool for 2 minutes on baking sheet then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment