Saturday, April 28, 2012

Forever Brownies

Forever Brownies - made April 23, 2012 from Baking Style by Lisa Yockelson
Yes, I like my brownies this fudgy
Yikes, it's been a busy week before, during and after work so I haven't had much time to bake or blog.  The only baking I did this week was so I wouldn't go to social occasions empty-handed.  I had a team lunch this past Tuesday and, in keeping with tradition, I always like to bake a little something for my coworkers and give them goodie bags to take home.  They get some homemade baked goods and I typically get to try out a new recipe so it's a win-win.  As always, my go-to baking of choice during the work week (when I'm more pressed for time) is brownies.  I can bake them the night before, cut them into individual-sized pieces the next morning, package them up and bring them to work to give away at the lunch.  Brownies are easy to make and don't take as much time to bake as other desserts when you need enough for several people.  Plus, I cracked open Baking Style again and was immediately captivated by all of the mouthwatering recipes in it.  And I mean all.  Okay, maybe, out of the 500-page book, there were 3 recipes I don't think I'd make.  But I want to make everything else.  And I just might.

For now, I started off with the very first recipe in the book.  You know I can wax poetical about any of Lisa Yockelson's brownie recipes because they're also so consistently good.  This one was no exception.  Rich, moist, fudgy.  Even plain, this stands on its own.  I didn't do any add-ins this time so I got a pure fudge brownie.  OMG.  Wow.  This is good.  Don't overbake it so you can get that fudgy texture. Use a rich dark cocoa and a good-quality unsweetened chocolate for maximum chocolate punch.  Cut into small pieces and savor each bite.  This one also goes into the category of "I'm going to run more miles at the gym because this is worth it" (for the record, last week I ran 10 miles but this week I upped it to 12 miles - totally worth it).  Fortunately, I did end up giving most of this away after I had a piece or I may not have ever been able to actually leave the gym if I ate more than that.

2/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon unsifted bleached all-purpose flour
2/3 cup unsifted bleached cake flour
¼ teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
1/3 cup unsweetened alkalized cocoa powder (I use Pernigotti)
½ pound plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
5 ounces unsweetened chocolate
4 ounces bittersweet chocolate
5 large eggs
2 cups superfine sugar (regular granulated sugar is fine)
2 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
2 tablespoons light corn syrup

1.       Preheat oven to 325°F.  Line a 9 x 9 pan with foil and spray lightly with nonstick cooking spray.
2.       Sift the flours, baking powder, salt and cocoa powder onto a sheet of waxed paper.
3.       Melt the butter and chocolates together in the top half of a double boiler over hot, not simmering, water.  Whisk to blend and let cool to tepid.
4.       In a large mixing bowl, beat eggs just to mix.  Add the sugar and beat for 45 seconds, just to combine.  Blend in the butter-melted chocolate mixture, vanilla extract and corn syrup.  Resift the flour mixture over the chocolate mixture.  Whisk slowly to form a batter, scraping down the sides of the mixing bowl with a rubber spatula to keep the batter even-textured.  Don't overmix.
5.       Pour and scrape the batter into the prepared pan.  Smooth the top and bake for 30-33 minutes or until just set and a toothpick inserted near the center comes out with moist crumbs.  Cool for 2 hours or refrigerate until firm enough to cut.  Cut into (small) squares and serve.

   
What's cooking, love?

8 comments:

  1. Those look big and moist! Whose doesn't like a yummy brownie?!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are there really 2 sticks of butter and 5 eggs in a 9x9 pan plus more than a half pound of chocolate? OMG!!! Might be too rich for my blood, but they look good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look amazing! I may have to try this recipe : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. These brownies look so good! I love fudgy brownies! Thanks for sharing at Showcase Your Talent Thursday. I hope to see you at the next party!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! These look so yummy! I love my brownies fudgy too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those look delicious! I love fudgy brownies. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look like the BEST brownies! I will definitely try this recipe some day.

    ReplyDelete