Thursday, August 25, 2011

More homemade tomato sauce and a Canadian bacon pizza

Made August 21, 2011

My tomato plants are both loaded with ripening tomatoes and dying at the same time.  My mom says that's normal.  I'll take her word for it because I think that's weird.


But it's just as well if they're coming to end of their life cycle because I'm having a hard time keeping up with the garden, working full-time, traveling, baking, cooking, blogging and life in general.  Something's gotta give.  Okay by me if it's the tomatoes.


I've been harvesting the tomatoes as they ripen and putting them in the freezer until I had enough to make tomato sauce.  I must not have been paying attention because all of a sudden I had 3 gallon-size freezer bags full of tomatoes and more were ripening every minute.  Time to stop saving up the tomatoes and actually make the sauce.

I didn't use a specific recipe for this but did consult the Professional Chef tome that I bought somewhere along the way on how to make tomato sauce.  I'd already done a homemade tomato sauce from the Cooking for One recipe book but I wanted to try a different method this time.  Instead of roasting tomatoes and onions and pureeing them, I ended up browning a whole bulb of minced garlic, saute-ing a whole brown onion that I had roughly (very roughly) sliced, and throwing 7 lbs of tomatoes in with them to cook down.  I only had time to partially thaw the tomatoes before I started cooking them but that actually worked out well because the skins were easier to peel off the half-frozen tomatoes before I put them in the pot.  I let the mixture simmer and boil for several hours and added a little salt and pepper.  When the mixture had cooked down and thickened so it wasn't so watery in texture, I also added large handfuls of chopped basil.  Let it cook down some more then I pureed the whole thing in the food processor.

Overall I think it turned out pretty well and I ended up with a decent amount of homemade tomato sauce.  Some of which I then used as pizza sauce to make a pizza.  I love the Trader Joe's whole wheat pizza dough which you can buy in a bag for $1.29, let rest for 20 minutes, and roll out into a pizza.  I topped it with the homemade tomato sauce, mozzarella cheese, Canadian bacon and more basil.


Which baked up nicely and became my dinner plus lunches for the week.  Yum.


No comments:

Post a Comment