Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Slow Cooker Orange Chicken

Slow Cooker Orange Chicken - made May 20, 2011 from This Woman Cook's blog


I loved how this looked on Christina's blog (click on title for the recipe on her blog) and it was just the kind of cooking I can do: mix stuff up, put in a slow cooker and leave it alone until it's done.  And now that I'm working, I also needed to figure out some simple, easy meals I can make or have ready when I get home from work.

As easy as crock pot cooking is, I rarely do it.  For one thing, I have the regular size which is rather largish for one person so when I do use it, it means lots of leftovers and eating the same thing in the future, even if I freeze some.  For another, invariably, whatever I make turns out soupy.  It might be tasty-soupy but soupy nonetheless and sometimes I just don't want soupy.  I end up eating too much rice to sop up the sauce. But I couldn't resist this recipe because I love orange chicken and it was so easy to make.  I'm glad I tried it because it was good and incredibly easy to put together.  It did come out a bit soupy and I tried to thicken it with a little cornstarch but there was still a lot of soupy sauce.  But that's okay as I figure I can always cook more chicken to go with the sauce. 

Oh, and how your sauce turns out is of course going to depend on the ingredients you use so use your favorite barbecue sauce (I used Trader Joe's Kansas City-Style Barbecue Sauce) and marmalade (I used Dundee Orange Marmalade - also from TJ's).  Thanks, Christina, for the recipe!

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad you made this! You're right about how easy it is and crock pot cooking definitely helps when you are working fulltime. I would say you might want to add more cornstarch or even flour next time so you don't get that soupyness, but as you said you can use it later for more chicken. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd like to make t
    his but unfortunately there is no recipe


    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ann, if you click on the title of the post, it’ll take you to the recipe on the original blog. Normally I put the recipe in my own post but some bloggers request people not do that. But I always put the link to the original recipe in each post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adding that it looks like the original blogger has now made their blog private and by invitation only. Sorry about that but I now can’t get into it either.

    ReplyDelete