Thursday, September 8, 2011

Oatmeal Caramel Chocolate Chip Cookies

Oatmeal Caramel Chocolate Chip Cookies - made dough September 3 and baked September 4, 2011 from The Silver Palate Cookbook by Julee Rosso and Sheila Lukins (book #157)


The original recipe title was Oatmeal Raisin Cookies but I can't abide raisins so my mind automatically substitutes something else for them, usually chocolate chips, but in this case I decided to go with caramel bits as well as milk chocolate chips.  It was such a good flavor combination in the Milk Chocolate Caramel Cookies that I decided to try it again.  For my niece who goes to college further away, in addition to the Red Velvet Cookies that are a favorite of both of my nieces (they are twins after all), she asked for oatmeal cookies to "help her study".  LOL.  But, besides being a doting aunt, I also use any excuse for me to try a new recipe and further my baking challenge.

This has all the elements I look for in a good oatmeal cookie recipe - it uses butter, not shortening, and it contains more oatmeal than flour.  I did find the dough a little difficult to work with when forming the dough balls with an ice cream scoop because it didn't form into a ball very well or adhere to a shape and it was sticky.  You have to pack the dough tightly together to form the ball.  I put the dough balls to freeze first before baking them in the hopes that they would be less fragile and easier to work with before baking.  That worked.

This does spread during baking, even at a convection setting, but it doesn't spread too thin.  The caramel bits make it a little more chewy and sweeter than the cookies normally would be but I thought they were a good addition.  You won't taste the cinnamon as much because of the caramel but the edges are crisp and the middles are satisfyingly chewy.  Overall, I thought this was a good flavor and texture combination. So did my niece(s).

Cookies to help her study :)
12 tablespoons butter
½ cup granulated sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 egg
2 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2/3 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon baking soda
3 cups quick cooking oats
1 cup raisins (I used caramel bits and milk chocolate chips instead)

1.   Preheat the oven to 350⁰F.  Grease two cookie sheets.
2.   Cream butter and both sugars until fluffy.  Add egg and beat thoroughly.  Mix in water and vanilla.
3.   Sift together flour, cinnamon, salt and baking soda; add to the egg mixture and mix well.  Add oats and raisins and mix.
4.   Form large round dollops of cookie dough on prepared cookie sheets and flatten slightly with wet palms moistened with water.  Bake for 15 to 17 minutes, until edges are done but centers are still soft.  Remove to a rack and cool.

25 to 30 large cookies



 

2 comments:

  1. These sound really good. I'm not a raisin fan myself. I have heard really good things about this cookbook. Not sure why I never purchased a copy. These cookies might just encourage me to purchase a copy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sound delicious! Oatmeal cookies are my favorite!!

    ReplyDelete