Friday, July 30, 2010

Not So Sloppy Joes


Not So Sloppy Joes - made July 21, 2010 from Real Simple: Meals Made Easy via my cousin Christine

Oops, I was so focused on catching up on my desserts that I'm out of chronological order in posting this recipe. I should call it "Dinner in a Bag 2" as this is another from my cousin Christine who gave me most of the fixings for this, all packed in a brand new insulated lunch bag - talk about full service :).

This was a very simple recipe, just my speed and style. I substituted ground turkey for the ground beef and it worked just fine. I admit to deviating from the recipe though and left out the bell pepper since I don't eat those and the cheese since it was optional. Those got returned to Christine when we met for dinner at Patxi's (see earlier post on the pizza). This is one of the reasons I'll never be much of a cook. No matter what the recipe says, if there's an ingredient I don't like, I don't add it in, likely altering the recipe from its supposed taste. But that's okay with me as it's better than picking it out of the finished dish.....which I've been known to do. Yes, I'm a picky eater. I'm sure real cooks are as horrified as I would be if people who don't like sugar leave it out of one of my dessert recipes. It's just not the same. Oh well.

Oh and based on Christine's recommendation, I toasted the bun first (which she also provided, lol) before sandwiching it with the sloppy joe - yum. Great taste and contrast with the sloppy joe filling.

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
1 pound ground beef (90% lean)
1 6-ounce can tomato paste
1 ½ teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon kosher salt
4 hamburger buns, toasted (to prevent bread from becoming mushy)
½ cup (2 ounces) grated Cheddar (optional)
½ cup sour cream (optional)

1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and bell pepper. Cook until softened, about 3 minutes. Add the beef and cook, crumbling it with a spoon, until no trace of pink remains, about 7 minutes. Spoon off and discard any excess fat.
2. Stir in the tomato paste, chili powder, cumin, black pepper, cinnamon and salt. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until the sauce thickens slightly, about 12 minutes. Spoon the beef mixture onto the bottom half of each bun with the Cheddar and a dollop of the source cream (if using). Sandwich with the top half of each bun.

4 servings

No comments:

Post a Comment