Sunday, February 14, 2016

Chocolate Chip Graham Cracker Cookies

Chocolate Chip Graham Cracker Cookies - made dough February 6, 2016 from My Baking Addiction
Now that the never-ending month of No-Sugar January is over, I did feel "safe" in venturing back to baking once a week for work. I actually had made Averie's Chocolate Chip Cookies (milk chocolate) and Bakery-Style Chocolate Chip Cookies (semisweet chocolate) for my nieces and for work on the last day of January but since I already knew what those recipes tasted like and because I had baked them on January 31 to take into work February 1, I didn't eat any. (Hold, please, while I straighten my halo.). Resisting was initially harder than I thought because what was better than a warm chocolate chip cookie 10 minutes out of the oven? That's right, nothing. Except I couldn't eat any when I baked them because January had hours left to go at that time and I hadn't gone into sugar-deprivation mode for eternity only to blow it on the last day. So I didn't. The next day when I brought the cookies into work, it was February and technically I could have had one then but since they weren't 10 minutes out of the oven, I resisted. I wanted to make the next time I had sugar worth my while.

Which I did with these cookies. Since I had skipped having anything from two of my favorite chocolate chip cookie recipes, I decided to try a new one. This recipe intrigued me as a new twist to a classic cookie. This one was bolstered by graham cracker crumbs which I found to be an intriguing concept. Instead of the 2 1/4 cups flour like a standard Tollhouse recipe, this substituted 1 1/2 cups of the flour with graham cracker crumbs.
I thought the cookies would be more graham cracker flavored and be akin to a s'more base without the marshmallow. Surprisingly, it wasn't. Instead it was like a regular chocolate chip cookie, a bit more "mealy" or robust in texture (thought not quite as chewy as an oatmeal cookie) but only very slightly and I could hardly taste the graham cracker flavor at all. It was still a good cookie though and one I wouldn't mind making again. It makes for a moist cookie but of course, only if you don't overbake it.

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
1 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 egg
1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup chocolate chips
  1. In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together butter and sugar until creamy and no butter lumps remain.
  2. Blend in the vanilla and egg until well combined.
  3. In a separate bowl, combine the graham cracker crumbs, flour, baking soda and salt. Gradually add to the butter mixture until just combined.
  4. Stir in the chocolate chips with a wooden spoon. Portion out dough into golf-ball-size dough balls, cover and chill or freeze for several hours or overnight.
  5. When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line baking sheets with parchment paper.
  6. Evenly space frozen dough balls on baking sheet and bake for 7-10 minutes or until edges are golden brown and middles no longer look raw or shiny. Do not overbake.
  7. Transfer cookies to wire rack and let cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment