Back again with another version of a Texas Vanilla Sheet Cake. I'm really liking the simplicity and goodness of this type of cake, whether it's chocolate or vanilla. I'd had this pinned to my baking pin board for awhile and it's been so long that (once again) I thought I had already made it. But nope, I've made something very, very similar but not this exact cake. Most of the difference from what I've made before is in the frosting but I had evaporated milk and sour cream to use up so it seemed like a good time to experiment with another recipe. Plus, let's be honest, I enjoy this type of cake so much that I look for the slightest excuse to make it.
If you're a novice baker or someone who doesn't bake that much, this is an easy recipe to start out with because it's really easy to put together, it only uses one pan, the frosting is easy to make and you spread it directly on top of the warm cake and let it set. No worrying about stacking layers, frosting top, sides and in between layers, crumb coating or finish coating. Just mix, bake, frost and eat.
1 cup water
2 cups sugar
2 cups + 4 tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup sour cream
1 cup butter
6 tablespoons evaporated milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
dash of salt
4-5 cups confectioners' sugar (I used less, just enough for the sweetness and consistency I wanted)
1 cup pecans, optional (I left them out)
- Put butter and water in a large bowl. Heat in microwave for 2 minutes. Stir until all the butter is melted. Add sugar, flour, salt, and soda. Stir with a wire whisk until smooth. Add eggs and vanilla, beat well. Stir in sour cream until all is blended.
- Pour into a 9 x 13" baking pan, lined with foil and lightly sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.
- Bake at 350º for 25-30 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched or toothpick inserted in center comes clean.
- Remove from the oven and make the frosting.
- Cook butter and milk for 3-4 minutes in microwave. Add powdered sugar, vanilla, and a dash of salt. Beat until smooth. Add nuts, if using, and gently spread on warm cake.