Saturday, April 7, 2012

Cobbler

Apple Cobbler - made April 2, 2012 adapted from Perfect Light Desserts by Nick Malgieri

I almost didn't put up this post.  It wasn't very good and I didn't want it to take up space on my blog, lol.  But I don't just put up the good recipes, I put up all recipes I try and critique them honestly so I will compromise, admit I made this and keep it brief.

"Real" cobbler, as opposed to crisps, fools, grunts, etc is typically defined by having biscuit dough baked on top.  In culinary school, we made a terrific cobbler and my favorite part was the dough baked on top which was more like a pie dough than a biscuit dough.  Not so with this one.  The dough part was definitely more like a biscuit, heavier and less sweet than what you'd use for a good strawberry shortcake and not as good as or flaky like an actual biscuit.  It was just bread-y without being good bread.  Nah.

Cobbler Topping
2 cups cake flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup sugar
1 large egg
1 cup low-fat buttermilk
Sugar for sprinkling the top crust

Fruit of your choice for cobbler, lightly sprinkled with sugar and cinnamon
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
  2. Sift the dry ingredients together in a bowl.
  3. Beat the egg and combine with the buttermilk.
  4. Pour over dry ingredients and mix with rubber spatula (do not overmix).
  5. Drop large spoonfuls over fruit mixture in ceramic baking dish and smooth top.
  6. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until topping is a golden color and the fruit is bubbling.
  7. Serve warm with ice cream.

1 comment:

  1. Well, it sure LOOKS good! The ice cream probably helped to perk it up:) I'm sure I'd enjoy it regardless.

    ReplyDelete