Friday, December 4, 2009

Chewy Oatmeal Raisin Cookies



Chewy Oatmeal Raisin Cookies - November 29, 2009

Let me say right off the bat that I don't like raisins. I can eat them once in awhile as is but I rarely, rarely bake with them simply because I don't like their taste and texture in anything. Whenever I come across an oatmeal raisin cookie, I always substitute chocolate chips for the raisins.

This time though, these were requested by one of the VPs I work with. He'd done me a favor by stepping in do a presentation when I needed someone to help out at the last minute. I offered to bake for his next staff meeting in thanks and asked him what he wanted me to make for him. He asked, "Do you make cookies?" This is an Is-the-Pope-Catholic type of question but I merely said, "of course" and asked him what kind he wanted. He chose oatmeal raisin. I tried to talk him into chocolate chips but amazingly, he preferred raisins. I know, I know, not everyone has the same likes and dislikes that I do but sometimes I think they should, lol. But I conceded (he did the favor for me after all), went out and bought a canister of raisins (I have no idea what to do with what's left in the canister since I'll never bake with raisins again), and made this recipe.

It's an oatmeal cookie I'd made before and turned out pretty well. It doesn't spread too much (no need to flatten it with a fork like the recipe says - it'll spread well enough on its own). The edges are crisp and the middles are chewy. This doesn't have quite enough oatmeal to really satisfy me as being a real oatmeal cookie since it has the same amount of oatmeal as flour but I guess that's splitting hairs.

Chewy Oatmeal Raisin Cookies from Cookies Unlimited by Nick Malgieri - made November 29, 2009

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups rolled oats (regular oatmeal)
16 tablespoons (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 ½ cups dark raisins
4 ounces (about 1 cup) coarsely chopped walnut or pecan pieces
1 cup (one 6-ounce bag) semisweet chocolate chips

3 or 4 cookie sheets or jelly roll pans covered with parchment or foil

1. Set the racks in the upper and lower thirds of the oven and preheat to 350˚F.
2. In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt and oatmeal; stir well to mix.
3. In the bowl of a standing electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together the butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar until well mixed, about a minute. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, beating smooth after each addition, then beat in the vanilla.
4. Lower the mixer speed and beat in the flour and oatmeal mixture, then add the raisins, nuts and chips.
5. Drop tablespoons of the batter about 3 to 4 inches apart on the prepared pans. Flatten the mounds with the back of a fork.
6. Bake the cookies for 15 to 20 minutes, or until they spread and color evenly and become firm.
7. Slide the papers off the pans onto racks.
8. After the cookies have cooled, detach them from the paper and store them between sheets of parchment or wax paper in a tin or plastic container with a tight-fitting cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment