Friday, June 7, 2019

Cream Cheese Biscuits

Cream Cheese Biscuits - made May 27, 2019, adapted from Revere World
This is the third of the three biscuits recipes I managed to find that didn't use buttermilk. Instead, the fat comes from butter and cream cheese. Cut both into flour and, voila, biscuits.
I modified the original recipe by cutting the butter from 2/3 cup to 1/2 cup, mostly because it's a pain to portion 2/3 cup of butter and it was easier to use 1 stick of butter or 1/2 cup. #lazy
Fortunately, the biscuits survived my experimentation, albeit I had to squeeze handfuls of the mixture to get the dough to come together. I handled as sparingly as I could though so the biscuits wouldn't be overworked.
Ironically, this turned out to be the fluffiest of the three recipes. I didn't underbake it but I didn't overbake it either. This does have the tang of cream cheese, which I don't love, but still, I really liked the texture of these biscuits.
Next time, I think I would cut back a little on the cream cheese and increase the butter. Hopefully that'll preserve the texture but give the biscuits more of a buttery flavor rather than the tang of cream cheese.
As always with biscuits, these are best served immediately, while they're hot out of the oven or at least very warm.
8 ounces full-fat cream cheese
1/2 cup butter
1 cup self-rising flour, plus more for dusting
  1. Pulse together the cream cheese, butter and flour in a food processor until combined, about 10 pulses, stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl halfway through. Turn out onto a piece of lightly floured parchment paper and pat into a disc. Refrigerate 1 hour.
  2. Place an oven rack on the highest rung and preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
  3. Sprinkle a work surface with flour, unwrap the dough and sprinkle the top and a rolling pin lightly with flour.
  4. Roll out to 1/2" thick and cut with a 1 1/4"-thick biscuit cutter. Place them on the baking sheet about 1" apart. Roll the scraps together to cut out more biscuits.
  5. Bake about 14 minutes on the top rack until golden and puffed, rotating the pan halfway through. Brush the tops with melted butter, if desired, and serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment