Monday, June 10, 2019

Chocolate Chip Cookies with Self-Rising Flour

Chocolate Chip Cookies - made dough May 26, 2019 from Kindly Unspoken
This recipe was an attempt to use more of my White Lily self-rising flour. I'm not used to baking with self-rising flour so I don't have a repertoire of recipes that use it. At the time I made the dough for this, it was around Memorial Day so I had a vision of making patriotic-looking cookies using the simple addition of red, white and blue M&Ms
Plus, honestly, since I'm moving shortly, I was also trying to use up as many ingredients in my pantry as possible. The more I use, the less I have to move.
Sadly, these didn't turn out in reality what I wanted them to look like in my head. I was hoping for chunky, chubby cookies but these spread thin. I also envisioned strategically placed colored M&Ms proclaiming colors-of-the-flag decorations. But the spread of the cookies due to the liquidity of the dough also sunk most of the M&Ms into the cookie as it baked. This was also a little too sweet for me, possibly because of the addition of the M&Ms.

As always, when a recipe doesn't turn out the way I'd like, I think it has more to do with me than the recipe. My cookies didn't turn out the way it looked on the original blog I got it from. I suspect my dough was more liquid than it should've been but I used the same ingredients and I mixed the butter straight from the fridge so not sure what happened there.
1 cup butter, softened
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
2 cups self-rising flour
12 ounces chocolate chips
  1. Cream butter, egg and vanilla in large mixing bowl. Add in granulated sugar and dark brown sugar until creamy.
  2. Slowly add in flour, 1/2 cup at a time.
  3. Fold in chocolate chips. Portion dough into golf-ball-size dough balls and chill or freeze, covered, for several hours or overnight.
  4. When ready to bake, preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper and evenly space chilled or frozen dough balls. Bake for 8-11 minutes or until edges are set and middles are no longer raw.

4 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear your cookies didn't turn out as expected! It sounds like the issue might have been your butter. Ideally butter should be softened at room temperature a minimum of 1-2 hours and should be soft to the touch, but not melted. Hope you'll try them again with those adjustments and they turn out for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you use real butter or margarine? That can make a difference? 😀

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you use real butter or margarine? That can make a difference? 😀

    ReplyDelete