Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Instant Pot Beef

Original title: Crockpot Beef and Broccoli - made February 9, 2019, modified from BS Recipes
This was originally a recipe for Crockpot Beef and Broccoli but I rarely use my crock pot anymore since I now have an Instant Pot. And let's not kid ourselves that I would eat broccoli. So I modified this to make in my Instant Pot and omitted the broccoli. Hence, the more plain but accurate recipe title of "Instant Pot Beef".

I also used stew meat rather than chuck roast since I knew making it in the Instant Pot would render even stew meat tender. And....I couldn't tell you the difference between chuck roast and stew meat other than stew meat is cheaper and tends to be tougher if not properly tenderized.
The original blog recipe said this made a lot of sauce and recommended making only a half recipe so that's what I (mostly) did. The recipe below is a half recipe with the exception of I increased the brown sugar slightly to 1/4 cup just to make measuring easier as the original recipe called for 1/3 cup but I can't imagine most people would have a 1/6 measuring cup.
This is the kind of recipe I favor: easy to make if you consider cooking being to throw ingredients into a pot and turn it on, short list of ingredients I had on hand, and pretty tasty. It probably would've tasted better with some rice to mop up the sauce but I'm cutting back on carbs so I ate it "straight".
1 pound boneless beef chuck roast, sliced into thin strips (I used stew meat)
1/2 cup beef broth
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 tablespoon sesame oil
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon cornstarch
2 tablespoons sauce after being cooked
  1. Place beef in Instant Pot. Combine beef broth, soy sauce, brown sugar, oil and garlic. Pour over beef. Press Stew setting on Instant Pot. 
  2. When finished cooking, let steam release naturally for 10 minutes then complete release manually.
  3. Ladle out a spoonful of cooked sauce in a small bowl and stir in cornstarch to dissolve. Pour back into Instant Pot and press Saute setting. Stir until sauce has thickened and mixture has come to a boil, stirring for 5 minutes. Serve.


No comments:

Post a Comment