Wednesday, February 6, 2019

Bakery Review: Perenn Bakery

Perenn Bakery - visited January 13, 2019
What would we do without yelp to guide us to the best places to go? I don't know and I don't want to find out. Still making my bakery rounds of what Reno has to offer and I homed in on Perenn Bakery because one of the yelp reviews mentioned the magic words "kouign amann". Like a moth to flame, off I went.
I arrived mid-morning on a Sunday and there were a few people inside the modest bakery. It had very clean lines with a minimalist look. I don't know if there was a rush on baked goods earlier or if they keep more of the stock in the back or if they only bake a little at a time. In any case, the shelves behind the counter weren't exactly overflowing with bread loaves.
But that didn't matter because there was a nice selection of pastries, from croissants to pain au chocolat (they called them chocolate croissants but I know a pain au chocolat when I see one), almond croissants, savory croissants and - woot - yes, kouign amanns.

Each was $3.75 plus tax (I was surprised on the tax). I still had a mini pie left from Mix Bakeshop so I limited myself to one kouign amann for this visit. I figured I could always come back to try other items.

As kouign amanns go, this was a great choice. The outside had the perfect caramelized exterior that marks a good kouign amann and why I like them so much in the first place. The inside was also beautifully layered, not as flaky as a croissant but with more substance, which I prefer. It was not as buttery as the ones from Arsicault Bakery or b patisserie in San Francisco but still delicious nonetheless.
I'm so glad I'm finding all of these "best of" that make my new city feel a little more like home.

No comments:

Post a Comment