Thursday, June 14, 2018

Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookies

Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookies - made May 27, 2018 from The Perfect Cookie by America's Test Kitchen
I’m still using my baking book and I have to say I’m feeling rather self-congratulatory about it. Usually I have baking recipe ADD and am always trolling for new recipes on pinterest rather than looking to my own bookshelves and using what I have. I’ve made several recipes out of this book and here am I again *pat* *pat*.
So far this book has been a pretty good investment. Actually, it was a gift from a friend so….even better ROI. The snickerdoodlerecipe was good and the oatmeal cookie recipe turned out well with my chocolate chip variation. This recipe for chocolate chip cookies didn’t break the good-recipe streak.
I have both a high bar and a low bar for chocolate chip cookies. Honestly I don’t ask for much beyond that it has crisp edges, a chewy middle, and brown sugar caramel overtones in the flavor while also not being too sweet. Many chocolate chip cookie recipes I’ve tried have met this (fairly low) bar. The high bar comes in whether I like it well enough amongst the dozens/hundreds I’ve tried to both remember it and make it again.

I’m happy to report this recipe does meet that bar. At least for now. Whether it’ll stand the test of time or be knocked out by a new favorite remains to be seen but for now, this was a tasty addition to my ever-growing repertoire of chocolate chip cookies. The dough was easy to handle and shape, froze beautifully and baked “perfectly” as the title proclaims. I don’t know about whether it’s the perfect chocolate chip cookie since “perfect” is different for everyone but it was a pretty good cookie.

1 3/4 cups (8 3/4 ounces) all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
14 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
3/4 cup (5 1/4 ounces) packed dark brown sugar
1/2 cup (3 1/2 ounces) granulated sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon salt
1 large egg plus 1 large egg yolk
1 1/4 cups (7 1/2 ounces) chocolate chips
  1. Melt 10 tablespoons butter in small or medium skillet over medium-high heat. Cook, swirling skillet constantly, until butter is dark golden brown and has nutty aroma, 1 to 3 minutes. Transfer browned butter to large bowl and stir in remaining 4 tablespoons butter until melted.
  2. Whisk in brown sugar, granulated sugar, vanilla and salt until incorporated. Whisk in egg and yolk until smooth and no lumps remain, about 30 seconds.
  3. Let mixture stand for 3 minutes, then whisk for 30 seconds. Repeat process of resting and whisking 2 more times until mixture is thick, smooth and shiny. Using rubber spatula, stir in flour mixture until just combined, about 1 minute. Stir in chocolate chips.
  4. Portion dough into golf-ball-size dough balls, cover and chill or freeze for several hours or overnight.
  5. When ready to bake, preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper and evenly space dough balls. Bake cookies until golden brown and edges have begun to set but centers are still soft and puffy, 10 to 14 minutes. Transfer baking sheet to wire rack and let cookies cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment