2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups chocolate chips
fleur de sel, optional, for garnish
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat then bring to a boil. Stir constantly until butter passes the foamy phase and becomes a deep amber color with a nutty aroma. Remove from the heat, pour into a separate bowl and cool slightly.
- Add both sugars to cool the butter further and melt into the browned butter.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and salt.
- Add eggs and vanilla to butter-sugar mixture. Fold in dry ingredients and stir until dough comes together. Add chocolate chips. Portion into golf-ball size dough balls, place on wax-paper-lined, freezer-safe containers, cover and chill or freeze several hours or overnight.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper. Evenly space dough balls on baking sheets and bake 10 to 12 minutes, until edges are lightly golden and middles are no longer shiny or raw. Do not overbake.
- Let cookies cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes then remove to wire cooling racks to cool completely. Sprinkle with fleur de sel if desired.