Sunday, January 29, 2017

Levain Bakery Chocolate Chip Cookies, copycat #11 - Brown-Eyed Baker

Levain Bakery Chocolate Chip Cookies Copycat #11 - made dough December 17, 2016 from Brown-Eyed Baker
It's probably unfair that I tried this recipe so soon after my new favorite from Bustle. It's billed as a Levain copycat and I've had good luck with those, most of the time.
This turned out pretty well too but I would probably have rated it higher had I not just made the Bustle one first. But I did so this one came up a tad short. It was still good but not as good as the Bustle one.

It stayed thick, it tasted great but I wasn't an enamored of the texture. I had to bake this one long enough that the middle wasn't raw dough but by the time that happened, the edges had become fully baked. And we know I don't do fully baked. So it seemed a bit more dense-cakey than I would like as opposed to moist-chewy.

I wish I could explain it better but if you look at the picture of the inside below, you can see the cookie is baked more than I usually bake my cookies. Still a good cookie so I'm probably just being picky. But honest.
3 1/2 cups (13.5 ounces) bread flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup unsalted butter, cold and cut into cubes
3/4 cup + 4 teaspoons (6 ounces) dark brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups chocolate chips
1 cup walnuts, toasted, optional (I left them out)
  1. In a medium bowl, whisk together bread flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; set aside.
  2. Using an electric mixer, beat the butter on medium speed until smooth and creamy, about 1 minute. Add brown sugar and granulated sugar; beat for another 1 to 2 minutes, until combined. Add the eggs, one at a time, and the vanilla, beating until just combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
  3. Reduce the speed to low and gradually add the dry ingredients, mixing until just combined. Do not overmix. Fold in the chocolate chips and walnuts, if using.
  4. Portion the dough into slightly larger than golf-ball size. Cover and chill or freeze for several hours or overnight.
  5. When ready to bake, preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Space cookies evenly on baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Bake for 18 to 24 minutes or until edges are golden and middles are no longer raw or shiny. Cool for 5 minutes on baking sheets then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment