Crazy for Crust’s blog are on point. But I suspect this cake went south when I either didn’t beat enough air into the batter or, more likely, I didn’t bake it long enough.
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
2 overripe bananas, mashed (about 1 cup)
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
5 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2/3 cup buttermilk
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
3 ounces cream cheese, softened
2 cups powdered sugar
pinch of salt, optional
2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste or extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter and flour a 12-cup fluted bundt pan.
- Whisk together flour, salt and baking powder in a medium bowl.
- With an electric mixer, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Stir in mashed bananas and vanilla.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. With the mixer on low, alternately add half the flour mixture, the buttermilk then the remaining flour mixture. Beat until just combined; do not overmix.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean, 45-55 minutes. Let cool in pan for a few minutes, loosen cake with small spatula and overturn onto serving plate. Let cool completely.
- Make the frosting: mix melted butter and cream cheese. Mix in powdered sugar, salt if using, and vanilla. Frost cooled cake.