3.5-ounce bar of bittersweet chocolate, chopped
2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter
1/2 + 1/8 cup all-purpose flour, divided
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 large eggs
1/2 cup + 1/8 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons instant espresso powder
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips for mixing in
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9-inch square baking pan with foil and lightly spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- In the top half of a double boiler set over hot, barely simmering water, combine 2 1/3 cups chocolate chips, bittersweet chocolate and butter. Whisk until melted and smooth; set aside to cool slightly.
- In a separate bowl, combine 1/2 cup flour, baking powder and salt; whisk together.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine eggs, sugar, espresso powder and vanilla. Stir until barely combined. Add melted chocolate mixture then flour mixture. Stir until smooth and glossy.
- Toss remaining 1/8 cup flour with 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips until chips are coated. Add to brownie batter and stir to combine.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 15 minutes then turn pan and lower heat to 325 degrees. Bake another 15 minutes or until toothpick inserted near the center comes out with moist crumbs.
- Cool completely before cutting into squares.