Friday, December 16, 2016

Penzey's Chili

Penzey's Cathy's Chili - made December 3, 2016 from Penzey's
Is it cold weather where you live right now? There are always certain comfort foods I like to eat, especially when it's cold outside. My go-to comfort food is spaghetti and meatballs but if I want to lean more protein and less carbs, I go for chili. Ignoring the fact that I also like to eat chili with fresh-baked bread. Hey, when it's cold, nothing better than a hot bowl of chili.

Technically I didn't make this myself; my mom did. But I found the recipe on Penzey's site, bought her the spices and I was there when she made it so I almost made it myself. Trust me, for a non-cook like me, that's as good as it's likely to get. Plus this turned out pretty well so I wanted to share the recipe for it. Only thing to note is this is not a spicy chili. I know some people like their chili hot as in hot and spicy. I and my bland taste buds, which prefer not to be set on fire, like a milder form of chili and this one fit the bill nicely.

1 - 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
1 teaspoon English Prime Rib Rub
1 large onion, coarsely chopped
1 6-ounce can tomato paste
1 12-ounce can tomato sauce
1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes
1 15-ounce can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
3-4 ounces water
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon English Prime Rib Rub
1 teaspoon granulated garlic powder
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
  1. Place the onion in a large pot and cook over low heat until softened, stirring regularly. Add the ground beef and English Prime Rib Rub. 
  2. Increase the heat to medium and cook until the meat is browned. Drain off any fat.
  3. Add the remaining ingredients to the pot and bring to a boil, stirring frequently.
  4. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for at least 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes. Taste and add more chili powder and cumin if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment