1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup powdered sugar, sifted
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup pecans, finely chopped and every so slightly toasted
3/4 cup English toffee bits, such as Heath
1 oz. good quality chocolate, melted (optional) or add mini chocolate chips to the dough
- Cream the butter and powdered sugar together until smooth, 1-2 minutes. Beat in the vanilla, then add the flour and salt just until combined. Stir in the pecans, toffee (and chocolate chips, if adding).
- Form into small, thick discs, cover and chill or freeze several hours or overnight.
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Evenly space discs on baking sheets; they don't spread much so you don't need a lot of space between cookies.
- Bake until the edges are just starting to brown, 12 to 15 minutes. Cool on wire rack. If dipping in melted chocolate, dip half of each cookie in melted chocolate and let set.