Monday, September 5, 2016

Basic, Great Chocolate Chip Cookies from Seven Spoons

Basic, Great Chocolate Chip Cookies - made dough July 23, 2016 from Seven Spoons
I’m not over chocolate chip cookies yet. I may never be. Even though I went through a marathon baking sessions of trying recipe after recipe for chocolate chip cookies, apparently I haven’t gotten them out of my system yet because I still like trying new recipes for chocolate chip cookies. That’s okay. No one I know is sick of eating them yet.

My deviation from my usual chocolate chip cookie making is I used extra dark chocolate chips this time around. I’m a milk chocolate chip person myself but there are a lot of dark chocolate fans out there. A friend gave me 2 bags of the extra dark chocolate chips so I decided to use them for this recipe.
Mine didn’t turn out like the picture in the original blog where I got the recipe from but I’m okay with that as I think mine turned out thicker. I deviated from the recipe’s advice to use chocolate chunks because that would defeat my purpose of using the bag(s) of dark chocolate chips. Otherwise, it had all the earmarks of my kind of cookie: didn’t spread much, stayed thick, was chewy and moist, had crisp edges and the texture was beautifully chocolate-chippy. (Yes, I made up that term.)


I never measure chocolate chips. I just add at will until I’m satisfied with how many chocolate chips are in each dough ball. I always reserve some to add when the dough is almost gone as that’s usually the scoop that has the least amount of chips and I also press chips on the outside of each dough ball to make sure there are enough in the cookie. 

In this case, I used a full bag plus about ¼ of the 2nd bag. If the chips had been milk chocolate, I’d probably be all over this cookie. With the dark chocolate, I liked it but would’ve preferred milk chocolate. I suspect I’m in the minority about dark vs milk at work since these went faster than my previous batches of (milk) chocolate chip cookies.
1 cup unsalted butter, chopped, melted
3 1/4 cups (415 grams) all-purpose flour
1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons medium-grain kosher salt
1 1/2 cups (320 grams) packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup (100 grams) granulated sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
12 ounces semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, chopped
  1. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; set aside.
  2. Combine melted butter and sugars. Add eggs, one at a time, whisking after each addition, until just combined. Stir in vanilla.
  3. Mix in dry ingredients with a wooden spoon. Do not overmix.
  4. Fold in chocolate chunks or chips. Portion into golf-ball-size dough balls, cover and chill or freeze for several hours or overnight.
  5. When ready to bake, preheat oven to 360 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
  6. Bake 10-12 minutes or until edges are golden brown and middles are no longer raw. Do not overbake. Cool for 2 minutes on baking sheets then transfer cookies to wire cooling rack to cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment