2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup powdered sugar, for rolling
1 tablespoon cinnamon, for rolling
- Place the butter in a saucepan. Cook over medium heat until the butter melts and begins to foam. Continue to cook, whisking frequently until the butter becomes an amber color and brown flecks form. Butter should have a nutty aroma. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt; set aside.
- Add the granulated sugar and brown sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Pour the cooled butter into the sugars and mix on medium speed to combine. Add in the eggs and vanilla, mixing just until smooth.
- With the mixer on low, slowly add in the flour, mixing until just incorporated. Cover the mixing bowl and refrigerate for at least an hour. Portion into golf-ball-size dough balls, cover and chill or freeze for several hours or overnight.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line baking sheets with parchment paper. Mix together powdered sugar and cinnamon; roll dough balls into mixture and evenly space on baking sheets. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until cookies are set. Cool for several minutes then transfer cookies to wire rack to cool completely.